On this matchbox label the Tsimlyanskaya power station is shown. The Tsimlyanskaya HPP, being the only hydroelectric station on the Don River, is at the same time a key part of the Volga-Don waterway. It is located in the Rostov region, not far from the cities of Volgodonsk and Tsimlyansk, which were formed only due to the appearance of a power station.
The decision to build the Volga-Don waterway and its member Tsimlyanskaya HPP was approved by a decree of the Soviet government on February 27, 1948. Construction immediately declared "the great construction of communism." The planned commissioning of the station was scheduled for 1953.